Sunday, October 29, 2006

Help Me! I need a name!

I have a home now but now I need a name!!!!!
For those of you that know me, you know that, My-Kya, Akasha and Braille (our blind cat)(pictures below)came to us much the way this one did; with no name, no home and starved for food as well a love. I have always strived to keep the number of homeless that we keep at three. But I can never turn away from the needy ones like this one. He came to us on Oct. 9th 2006.

This photo shows him after two weeks with us, eating sometimes 4 cans of food at one time. It was so starved when I found him that he could barely remain standing, just skin and bones he was. And as you can see still is, seen here, even after two weeks of food.
He had also had all the hair shaved off his left and right sides or just fallen out from lack of any type of nutrition. I have had him for three weeks now. He is now able to stand on his own and was for the first time two days ago able to groom himself. My other three cats below have accepted him without question, having been there themselves, before him.
And believe me no matter how healthy in body, My-Kya, Akasha and Braille are now they still even after these years with us have deep emotional scars. My-Kyia and Braille, will not tolerate anyone they do not know and even some they do know. Akasha, goes no where without My-Kya, he is her security in this world. She runs from even me if she is outdoors and only tolerates my touch when she is indoors, which is only to eat or to come in and sleep when the nights are cold.

This new cat also has emotional scars. He has mostly spent his days since being with me here, sleeping next to the water heater, behind the washer, drier. When he comes out to eat, he knows nothing of play or a gentle touch, thinking he is about to be abused he will run for his sleeping space and his security. He is just now letting me pet him and he likes to sit on my lap when I am at the computer or of an evening on the couch. But if I get up for a few minutes, he immediately runs for the security of his sleeping space. I have a pet door for my pets to go out because I have never liked a cat box in the house. But I have had to set one up for him because he is terrified of the outdoors. I take him out once a day but he immediatly runs for cover and I have to bring him back where he runs for his secure sleeping space.

I need a name for him. I have thought of a couple but am not sure yet. I like TryMe, PyWakket The Pie; so far.
But I wondered if any of you can think of an unusual name for him. If you can, please leave a comment with some names you think would be appropriate for a cat who now has love and a home! When I get a name that I like and think would suit him, I will post a picture of how he looks now and his new name!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I am a new reader of your site. Think I'm gonna' like it here. He is a very beautiful cat. What about "Minks" for a name; or "Sunday"? "Surreal" could be another possibility...just brainstorming...

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the name Surreal, I will add it to my list of possibilities and thankyou for visiting and I hope you will come back again! Faira

6:49 AM  
Blogger Kath Lockett said...

What a gorgeous little guy and a real Aussie "GOOD ON YER" for taking such deserving cats in.
I'm reckoning something along the lines of Wonderpuff...(it's a wonder he survived and his fur is actually rather nice and puffy)
Snozzle (thank CuteOverload for that one) or turn a real bloke's name into one for him, ala Dennis, Trevor, Bruce....

10:57 PM  
Blogger Faira said...

milly moo, Thank you for adding some names to my list but I think something a little more majestic though. Like I love the singer Josh Groban and so I thought about calling him Groban but I am not sure it suites him. Do you know what I mean.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goo for nyou, always glad to visit an animal lovers blog.
First time here from Michele's.

11:20 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi There Faira...
You did exactly right over at Michele's and it just happened that I followed you..so..you were to go visit the person who commented just before you and I came after you so I am visiting you! And that is how it works, my dear...
What a dear dear little kitty...You are so wonderful to take him in and I bet he will become very very bonded to you...
As to names: All of my cats have silly dear names that end in Y....Baby, Silky, Teeny, etc...I don't know any really unusual or exotic name but Piewacket is a delightful name...!
Sorry I am not much help with this...SOOOOO Good to see you bavk in the Blogesohere...
Today is my One Year Blog Anniversary!!!

12:21 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

if we're just going on appearances here, Faira, then I'd go with "Scruffy" but I guess he'll eventually outgrow that name. I think you really need to wait for his personality to recover a bit before you name him. Afterall, the name is for you since cats ignore that sort of thing.

Michele sent me to see you, Faira.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Aunty Evil said...

Hi Faira, like many others, I came here via Michele's. Like you, I adore cats, my last two blogs attest to that! As Milly Moo suggested, I would tend to go for the blokey kind of names, must be an Aussie thing! My cat's name is Sam, before him was Jack. I can't come up with anything imaginative, which is probably why I stick with the simple ones! :) Whatever you ultimately call him, I am sure it will be fitting, and he looks adorable, as do your others. Well done to you, I am sending you a cyber hug just to thank you for loving cats.

1:37 PM  
Blogger siyerwin said...

ey faira, thanks for dropping by our adoption blog. i really love stumbling into fellow animal-lovers such as yourself as it does make the world seem a kinder place. and thanks for taking in the homeless cats. i hope someday the that they forget about what they've been through and just bask in the love that you so feely give them.

the new cat is really beautiful, as all cats are. his color reminds me of chocolate marble ice cream so if he were mine i'd probably name him "Chocolate-marble-ice cream" or "Marble" for short; though it's not that unusual. :) um how about "Samwell"? Or "Syrio"?

do keep in touch.

11:28 PM  
Blogger STAG said...

Cats don't respond to names, only to treats bags being opened.
How 'bout "Number 7". Its a lucky number. And you can tattoo it on his ear if you really want to keep track of him. I know they hate collars, but eventually, they learn to accept them.

I personally LOVE cats...mine live in the barn, and don't come in the house, even when it is blizzarding out. Its too warm for them in here anyway, and there are no mice in the house. (Well....one or two perhaps...)

I rarely adopt a cat. They occasionally adopt me. I try very hard to ensure that every cat which comes into the barn is spayed or neutered. This seems to be a proceedure which of often overlooked. My neighbour wouldn't do it, and she always had a housefull of kittens. THEN the problems start.

Glad to see a pet lover who is not afraid to blog about it. You are one of the keepers Faira!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

on pbs sprout we watch the good night show. there is a show called "Sagwa" (prounounced Saw -Gwa) sagwa is the chineese siameese cat.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Faira said...

Stag, I beg to disagree, my cats respond only to there names and the love in our voice. They do not even know what the word kitty means and would not respond to it at all. We use only names here for each very unique and very intelligent little being!!!! And they all respond,to "LOVE", (not) the rattling of the cat treat box!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home