Wednesday, December 14, 2005

"The Twelve Days of Christmas" was written in England as one of the "Catechism Songs" to help secret young Roman Catholics learn the tenets of their faith. The poem was a memory aid for those unenlightened times when to be caught with anything in writing indicating adherence to the Roman Catholic faith could not only get you transported to a nasty place such as America, but also imprisoned, beheaded or hanged.

The song's gifts are hidden meanings to the teachings of the faith. The "true love" mentioned in the song doesn't refer to an earthly suitor, it refers to God. The "me" who receives the presents refers to every baptised person. The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus Christ and the two turtle doves are the old and new Testaments.

The other verses represent the following:

3 French Hens are Faith, Hope and Charity,

4 Calling Bird are The Four Gospels,

5 Golden Rings are the first five books of the Old Testament,

6 Geese A-Laying are the six days of creation,

7 Swans A-Swimming are the seven gifts of The Holy Spirit,

8 Maids A-Milking are the eight beatitudes,

9 Ladies Dancing are the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit,

10 Lords A-Leaping are the Ten Commandments,

11 Pipers Piping are the eleven faithful apostles,

12 Drummers Drumming are the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed.
twelve days of Christmas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dak-Ind said...

hey mom, i was just reading this bit and thought you might like the link. it goes into a little more detail than you did about just this!

http://enchantedlilypad.blogspot.com/2005/12/real-12-days-of-christmas.html

this is from ribbiticus over at Pond Perspective. (and of course i think you have to cut and paste the link to make it work!)

12:41 AM  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

hi faira! yup, seems we had the same thought when we posted on this subject. :)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Conners said...

Wow Faira,
I knew I HAD to come to your site if I was EVER going to get into the Chistmas Spirit. So much going on here, I haven't put up my tree, decorations or even bought gifts.
Naturally I knew you would have some amazing posts, but this one really touched me. I never realized this before, so not only did I see beautiful pics and took some amazing tours, but am in awe that in all my many 22 years over and over again, I've never heard of this before.
Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindi, Yes I read it. I have visited her site before. And I think I remember she had more than one Blog. I have trouble keeping up with this just ... ONE! How does she do it!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home